Sunday, September 14, 2008

Letting Go


20080914_sundayinnewyork_0008
Originally uploaded by lorenzodom

view LARGE

This is one of the first photos I've output from the intense 4-dayD-65 Workshop I've been taking with Seth Reskin and Jamie Spritzer.

We're learning digital image asset management, workflow (not workslow), using RAW files and Lightroom 2.0.

Interesting stuff. Still not convinced that shooting RAW serves my needs both in the short term and long run, especially considering the kind of work that I love to do - NYC street photography.

Shooting in RAW is very taxing on the system and camera. I don't have an $8,000 camera and don't want to be using one for the kind of art work I do. Also, I think that what I'm learning is primarily designed for the fully-emerged professional photographer. Hence, a lot doesn't apply...yet.

Alas, that said, I have doubts about my own doubts. Being in a room with 36 professional photographers, many of them 30 year veteran journalistic photographers, makes me feel that I need to suck it up, and stop whining, and just be grateful for the amazing learning opportunity I have here.

It also makes me believe that I need to make an extra effort to make some money off my work, whether that be generated through stock or commissions.

I've long said that in ten years I might be ready to transition from the well-compensated corporate job I've had for almost ten years.

However, now there are moments where I think, if I take a few risks, if I listen and learn and let go of my old and clunky ways, and embrace the new and sophisticated methodology I am learning here, I just might be able to do that a little sooner than planned.

1 comment:

Greta said...

I wish you all the best with the trasition. It sounds like a very exciting plan.