Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Announcing: Literary Central

Announcing: Literary Central

Announcing: Literary Central

If you wish to be a writer, write.
- Epictetus -

Right.

I write, therefore I am, and I’m feeling restless right now, a wee-bit rebellious (Argh!), a tad-bit flippant.

I’ve decided to purge the feeling by founding a group that I’m inviting you to use, abuse and participate in as a writer, a reader or simply as an individual, but not as a member.

“I would never join a club that would have me as a member.”
- Groucho Marx -

If you’re like me at all, you write everyday and you take photos everyday, and the twain often intertwine.

Subsequently, I’ve done my best to occasionally collect these collaborative efforts into myriad sets of mine, including:

Original Work
100 New York Stories (High)
A Letter to A Muse
the lost man chronicles: book one
the lost man chronicles archives
Poetic Parities
Autres, Others, Otras
25 Lessons I Have Learned
25 More Lessons (I’ve Learned
25 Points of Creativity
Running with the Devil
there was a man: a poem in eleven parts

Quoting Others
The Colours of My Mind
Running with the Devil

Alas, the task of organizing these all into neat little groups can be a rather time-consuming and sometimes daunting chore that often leaves me with little time for creating.

Hence, I’ve been yearning for a catch-all where I can dump, store my goods, and readily find all my relevant “literary” work whenever need be.

That’s why I’m creating Literary Central.

I’d love it if you considered it your place to store your literature as well.

Let’s briefly talk about two things: 1. defining “literature,” and 2. the rules (i.e. there are none).

Defining Literature
First, “literature” to me is merely the creative use of words to describe something. Ultimately, you may end up with a short story, a delightful journal entry, a long love letter, an epic poem or merely an excerpt to a work-in-progress.

Or, maybe not.

Maybe you merely want to submit a tidbit, an anecdote, a modicum of verse, a quote; or maybe even just an idea for a short story, a love letter or epic poem, along with your photo or image. It’s really up to you.

Essentially, Literary Central is meant to be a free-for-all, for as long as you submit according to the theme. Which brings me to the second subject: anarchy rules.

The Unruly Rules
For all intensive purposes, there are no rules. Well, not exactly, or entirely, for we are all civilized mortals her after all (Aren't we?). So, mostly there are no rules.

As the Editor-of-Mischief of Literary Central I promise not to administrate or edit or censor (for the most part). I’ll stop by on occasion, say “Hi, hey, hello!” and submit my own work to my heart’s content. I’m hoping you’ll do the same.

Certainly, if you simply, merely, only, want to participate as a reader or by using quotes of others’ words and work to complement your own photographs—by all means please do so. Just make sure, out of respect, to quote your source (i.e. name the author, writer, poet, playwright, lyricist, philosopher or plain old pundit.)

“Mediocre writers borrow; great writers steal.”
- T. S. Eliot -

However, I highly encourage you to submit your very own words. Everyone was a story to tell, everyone has a poem swelling in their heart, everyone has feelings pounding at their chest, yearning to be ex-pressed, exorcised from the depths of their souls.

You can never say “But I’m not a writer” or “I don’t have anything to say,” because every photo is worth a thousand words—and thus, all you have to do is figure out how to extract them.

Moreover, everyone’s life is interesting, everyone’s thoughts are insightful, everyone has the ability to creatively express themselves (with words).

If you can write an e-mail or a pithy text message even—you can write. It’s only the crazy ones who try to write books.

“Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words.”
- Mark Twain -

With a will to see it that way, a small effort to manifest your thoughts and emotions into words, and a mere modicum of courage to share them with others you too can write. Besides, regardless of what you submit, no one is going to judge you (negatively) here. This is a positive place to be.

So once again—no hard and fast rules (i.e. no submission limits, no “leave your comment on twenty others before you can submit yours,” no vote for the best and delete the rest, and certainly no games); this is your place to store your favorite words and photos; this is your place to be inspired my fellow photographers and writers work; and this is your place to meet and discuss literature, if you like.

The only exception (for now) is that if you blatantly disregard the simple theme, we’ll just have to boot you out.

Click here to go to Literary Central now.

Regards,
lorenzo

No comments: