Monday, September 11, 2006

Masterpiece Portrait Theater (Il Teatro del Ritratto Capolavoro)

I Love You, Dominic

See Large

Masterpiece Portrait Theater (Il Teatro del Ritratto Capolavoro)

MelaPela (Raffa & Giulio) kindly commented "Lorenzo, è un capolavoro.” (Lorenzo, this is a masterpiece)

For a moment there, I simply took another look at the photo of Nicky, blinked, and thought, “Yes, it is a very nice photo.” But then again, I am wholly biased because not only did I take it, but I love our youngest son very much.

But then it occurred to me, that in a way, perhaps this is a “masterpiece,” primarily because I feel it captures his personality well.

About to turn 5 on October 4, Dominic was born in the shadow of 9.11 in the year 2001.

He was also born in the shadow of his older brother Enzo, who is two and a half years older than him.

As a result of these two ominous events, Dominic did not receive as much doting, affection and attention as his sibling. It does not mean that his mother, Domenica, or I love him any less.

It is however an acknowledgement that he was not born as an only child; that we moved from Brooklyn, New York to Bloomfield, New Jersey a mere four months after he was born; and that the turmoil of the catastrophic events that occurred four weeks before he was born changed everything.

And, as much as 9.11 moved many of us affected be the tragedy to appreciate our families more than ever before, it also duly preoccupied us in so many other ways that often our changed habits cut in to the time that could have been spent at home.

Moreover, although my recent marital separation with his mother has been fairly amicable, I recognize that the fact that his parents are no longer together and that his father is not around as often as he used to be, have likely affected him in countless ways as well. They certainly have affected me.

Thus, I think, that perhaps this photo is a masterpiece, because it does reflect his personality fairly well—he has never been
the aggressive go-getter that his brother seemingly has always been; and he has long seemed a tad more shy, less boisterous and much more reserved than Enzo.

Ironically enough, each child’s personality also seems to reflect that of their namesake parent, the one each also happens to look like most. Comparisons and comments have long been made about how Nicky’s complexion, eye and hair coloring closely match his mother’s, and how Enzo’s (Lorenzo, Jr.) likewise matches my own.

Thus, although during this photo session I encouraged Nicky to smile more, and I wanted him to move out of the shadows and into the sunshine more, much as his brother is apt to do, at a certain point it occurred to me that “This is Nicky,” and so I just let him be.

Albeit, I may not be proud that Nicky has received the short end of the stick when it comes to attention, I don’t feel guilty, I don’t regret our and my personal decisions. Both Domenica and I love our children equally and do our best to cater to and encourage each son’s idiosyncrasies, talents and qualities.

However, I definitely take pride in the notion that, seemingly, my portraiture skills have improved somewhat, so that many of the pictures of people that I’ve taken lately have actually captured a bit of the persona, along with the external beauty that I see in them all.


*

MelaPela (Il Raffa & Giulio) ha commentato con bontà "Lorenzo, il capolavoro di un di è."

Per un momento lí, ho portato semplicemente un altro sguardo alla foto di Nicky, ammiccato, e ho pensato, "Sì, è una foto molto piacevole." Ma d'altra parte, sono completamente il biased perché ho fatto non solo lo porta, ma amo nostro più giovane figlio molto.

Ma poi è accaduto a me, ciò in una maniera, forse questo è un "il capolavoro," principalmente perché sento che esso cattura la sua personalità bene.

Di girare 5 il 4 ottobre, Dominic era nato all'ombra di 9,11 nell'anno 2001.

Era anche nato all'ombra del suo più vecchio Enzo di fratello, che è due ed uni semestri più vecchi di lui.

Come risultato di questi due avvenimenti sinistri, Dominic non ha ricevuto come molto stravedere, l'affetto e l'attenzione come il suo fratello. Non significa che sua madre, Domenica, o l'ami qualunque meno.

È comunque una conferma che non era nato come un solo bambino; che abbiamo mosso da Brooklyn, New York a Bloomfield, New Jersey un semplice quattro mesi dopo che era nato; e che l'agitazione degli avvenimenti catastrofici che è accaduto quattro settimane prima che era nato tutto ha cambiato.

E, tanto quanto 9,11 molti di noi hanno mosso ha riguardato è la tragedia apprezzare le nostre famiglie più che mai prima, debitamente ci è preoccupati anche in cosí molte altre maniere che spesso le nostre abitudini cambiate si è intrometsso al tempo che potrebbe essere stato speso alla casa.

Inoltre, sebbene la mia separazione recente coniugale con sua madre è stata giustamente amichevole, riconosco che il fatto che i suoi genitori non sono più insieme e che suo padre non è intorno come spesso come ha usato per essere, avere probabile l'ha riguardato nelle maniere innumerevoli.

Così, penso, ciò forse questa foto è un capolavoro, perché riflette la sua personalità giustamente bene—non è mai stato l'arrivista aggressivo che suo fratello sempre è stato apparentemente; e ha lungo sembrato un ragazzino più timido, Meno tumultuoso e molto più riservato di Enzo.

Ironicamente abbastanza, ogni personalità del bambino sembra riflettere anche che del loro genitore di omonimo, l'un succede somigliare anche a più. I paragoni ed i commenti hanno lungo è stato fatto di come la carnagione del Nicky, l'occhio ed i capelli colorando attentamente uguagliare sua madre, E come Enzo (Lorenzo, Jr.) uguaglia similmente mio proprio.

Così, sebbene durante questa sessione di foto ho incoraggiato Nicky a sorridere più, e l'ho voluto muovere fuori delle ombre e nel sole più, molto come suo fratello è adatto a fare, a un certo punto che è accaduto a me ciò "Questo è Nicky," e cosí io giusto ha lasciato è.

Quantunque, non posso essere orgoglioso che Nicky ha ricevuto la fine breve del bastone viene con questo all'attenzione, non sento colpevole, non mi rammarico il nostro e le mie decisioni personali. Entrambi il Domenica ed amo i nostri bambini e faccio ugualmente il nostro meglio approvvigionare a ed incoraggia ogni idiosincrasie del figlio, i talenti e le qualità.

Comunque, sono indubbiamente è orgoglioso della nozione che apparentemente le mie abilitì di portraiture hanno migliorato un poco, in modo che molti del le immagini di persone che ho portata ultimamente hanno catturato effettivamente un pezzetto del persona, con la bellezza esterna che vedo in tutti loro.


*

Other portrait sets:

You Are My Sunshine

My Friend, Mia

Desiring, Courtney

The Sparkling Brooklyn Hilary

DJ Mixx Goes Boom

From Mud to Men

I'm always looking for extraordinary subjects to practice my portraiture on/with, so if you live in or are visiting the tri-state area of NYC and are interested in having me take your picture (or know of anyone who might be) send me a note.

Click HERE if you would like to receive e-mail updates whenever new lorenzodom photos are published.


*

More stories, musings and poems about and written for my sons:

To Live A Life Uncommon

There’s Always Something (Ode for a Son)

Nicky The Brave (The Spine of Life)

Like Father, Like Son (a paternal self-fulfilling prophecy)

I Love You, Dominic

Three Familiar Faces (Lesson 6: If…)

I’m A Father (Designing My Little Architects

Just The Two of Us (Papa Loves You)

The Quiet One

The Boys (Collection of Photo Sets )

No comments: