Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Exorcism of Love


The Exorcism of Love
Originally uploaded by lorenzodom

The Exorcism of Love

Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non ponitur
We choose to love, we do not choose to cease loving.
-Syrus


I was about to go for a run
when she called.

Now I can stay out all night if I want to.
She’s not coming over after all.
Hmmm, after all.
No surprise I suppose,
I saw it coming like a freight train
at midnight, after all.

Foolishly, foolheartedly,
I thought things were good.
Alas, I guess I was wrong.
I guess I was wrong.

Aloof, cold, slathered with nice;
her careful words didn’t deceive me.
For I could see it in her eyes
the last time I saw her.
I could feel it in the curt and cold
conversation, the last time we conversed;
I could hear it in her voice
the last time we spoke.

What a joke,
she said she’d “Call to explain, later.”
Hmmm, no worries, none needed.
Why would I want to drag this out any further?

“So, you can feel better?”
I don’t need excuses,
I don’t live my life that way.
Take no prisoners,
just get it over and done with.

Move on.

I could easily have sulked and felt sorry for myself,
I ran six miles instead, one more mile than usual,
for I needed to transfer the pain;

there is nothing to gain by dwelling in the shortcomings of others.

Be strong, move on and accept those things you cannot change;
Have the courage to change those things you can, especially
if they lie within yourself; Be wise enough to know the difference.

I took a pencil and a pad with me on my run,
should such wisdom come to me as I was out;
thoughts did come about, but they were not worth
stopping for; My run, the change I was engendering in myself,
was far more important, and would make all the difference.

Upon my return I heard you had called,
I called back, you didn’t call, again.
No messages otherwise,
I had to ask, “Are we dead or alive?”

I already knew the answer.

You said you had to “Explain.”
No explanation needed.
No explanation needed.
No, not one, none,

no more.

Exorcizo te, omnis spiritus immunde, in nomine Amor.



March 19, 2007
Hoc die magnus mortuus est amor

No comments: