Monday, July 2, 2007

Joie, Alegría, Gioia, Joy


Joie, Alegría, Gioia, Joy
Originally uploaded by lorenzodom

Joie, Alegría, Gioia, Joy

I once had a colleague named Joy.

One night we were at a black tie affair together,
and after a few glasses of champagne we
found ourselves sitting together, side by side,
holding hands. She was married, and I,
I practically engaged.

It was a strangely pleasing
moment of whimsical intimacy that I will never forget.
Perhaps, if only, because holding her hand felt good.
I felt giddy, gleeful, plein de joie,
especially since nothing had ever happened
entre nous before, nor would it ever occur again
thereafter. It is bitter-sweet thought to think that
I may never know if it meant more to her
beyond letting go, beyond being merely human,
beyond a spontaneous rendezvous of the souls.

I had known her for three years,
worked with her day in and day out;
thought she was cute and admired her
finesse in the office. Albeit she only stood
a mere five feet tall, she was a genuine
firebrand who knew how to take charge.
I liked her smile.

Some of the most joyful moments of my life
have been merely when I am with a woman
and she smiles.

*
*
*

(R&O thank you for the inspiration)
Lorenzo

Rose, Olive & Me

No comments: